Cortes Community radio’s mandate is to provide a platform where the “the concerns, interests, and activities of the Northern Gulf Islands” can be expressed. This means providing “local, minority and Canadian actors and musicians” with a voice. According to station Manager Howie Roman, our DJs are CKTZ!
“Without our DJ’s we really would just be playing the playlist.”
There are currently 24 DJs, producing the following shows:
- Acoustic Music Show (Sean Coyote) – Friday’s: 9-11 AM
- Anything Goes (Paul The K & Howie Roman) - Saturdays: 10:30 AM-1:00 PM
- Clio FM - Wednesdays: 5:00-7:00 PM
- D J Johnnie - Fridays: 9:30 - MIdnight
- Gaia Grooves with Dancing Wolf - should return in early December.
- Folk Club with Andy Vine - should return after Andy gets back from Europe.
- Ken Hanuse - Saturdays: 9:00-10:00 AM
- Homegrown Show with Rena Patrick - Sunday: 1:00-3:00 PM
- Kirsten (Cinema Musique) - Sundays: 9:00-11:00 AM
- Lilith’s Whatnot - Fridays: 7:00-9:30 PM
- Lunchtime Locomotion with Nat King Cono - Fridays: 1100 AM-1:00 PM
- Misty Morning Hop - Mondays: 9:00 AM - 12:00 Noon; Saturdays: 9:30-12:00 PM
- Mixtapes (with Jonesy) - Thursdays: 4:00-6:00 PM - (Read More)
- Phil’s Pick ’n Mix - Wednesdays: 8:00-10:00 PM
- Pranayama Pachamama - Sundays: 11:30 AM -1:00 PM
- ShimSham Show With Psychedelic Sam - Thursdays: 6:00-8:00 PM
- Stone Soup (DJ Artemisia) - Wednesdays: 12:30-2:30 PM
- Sunday Night Jazz with Andreas - Sundays: 5-7 PM
- Sunsplash with Bobbi - Saturdays: 5:00-8:00 PM
- Sustaining Resistance (Bridget Holtom) - Tuesdays: 6:00-9:00 PM
- Vinho Do Porto (Susana) - Tuesdays: 11:30 AM-1:00 PM - (Read More)
Profiles & Podcasts will appear as dropboxes, under “Our DJs” in the top Navigation Bar, as they are ready.
Local News & Weather
Cortes Community Radio’s DJs provide most of the station’s coverage of local news* and weather.
Howie explains, “In the training we discuss the ways to promote local events … I instruct people to read from the announcement board, from the flyer (which each week I circle in yellow the items we are to announce and from the Cortes Tideline. Strictly- events, non-profit news- I instruct people how to find the weather including marine weather both of which are on the bookmark toolbar … We have had calls thanking us for giving a storm warning.”
*CKTZ’s locally produced environmental news program, The ECOreport, covers many local stories in more depth.
Photo Credit: Microphone by Alex Indigo via Flickr (CC BY SA, 2.0 License)