On Monday, February 4, 2019, Strathcona Regional District Chair Babchuk gives an update on the situation after fourteen Cortes resident filed a legal petition, in the Supreme Court of British Columbia, to remove Cortes Island’s Regional Director, Noba Anderson, and what effect that has on the governance of Cortes Island.
Chair Babchuk Gives An Update
In the podcast, Chair Bachuk says:
- The Strathcona Regional Regional District does not have jurisdiction over the legal suit, which will be decided in court.
- Sometime in the next two weeks to a month the board should move forward regarding appointments to Cortes Island Advisory Planning Commission and implementing the recent referenda on holding referenda for a hall tax and first responders funding.
- The Strathcona Regional District sent an investigator to “do due diligence” on this lawsuit. It is uncertain whether the public will ever see the findings.
- As regards concerns that special interests groups are and have been lobbying the SRD “The open sessions of opur meetings are certainly open to anyone who wishes to come; we do not ask for people to identify themselves.”
- “Director Anderson is your elected are director, from area B, she continues …”
Photo Credit: Looking across Sutil Channel to Marina and Cortes Islands by Dale Simonson via Flickr (CC BY SA, 2.0 License)