We are hiring 2 Reporters
1. Senior Reporter
CKTZ is looking for a dynamic individual to lead our Cortes Island News Team as a Senior Reporter. Funded by the Local Journalism Initiative (LJI), the goal of the program is to increase the production of local community and civic news in areas underserved in the news landscape.
SCOPE: $1870 per month (65 hours at $28.77 per hour). Start date: 2-July-2021 (9 month funding available, project end date 31-Mar-2022), with potential for funding to continue into 2023.
The ideal candidate will be motivated, creative and organized — an enterprising journalist who needs little direction in researching, writing, editing and presenting local news stories.
The successful candidate will have experience in broadcast journalism.
• Hold a university degree or college or technical diploma in Arts, Journalism, Communications, or Broadcasting (Radio or Television Arts) from an accredited educational institution;
• Have experience in broadcast and/or print journalism;
• Have a passion for journalism, research, storytelling, language and accurate reporting;
• Demonstrate expertise in original news-gathering, writing, editing for short-form and long-form reports;
• Possess strong interviewing skills;
• Have a distinct clear voice;
• Possess a broad knowledge of local and regional issues;
• Demonstrate solid audio production skills (hardware and software).
2. Radio Reporter
CKTZ is looking for a dynamic individual to join our Cortes Island News Team as a Radio Reporter. Funded by the Local Journalism Initiative (LJI), the goal of the program is to increase the production of local community and civic news.
SCOPE: 20 hours a week, $21.50 per hour. Start date: 2-July-2021 (9 month funding available, project end date 31-Mar-2022), with potential for funding to continue into 2023.
Follow civic stories as they develop across the region from sources including but not limited to: interviews, government and non-governmental websites, local council minutes, community blogs, social media pages, written reports, and live events.
Radio Reporter’s Duties
• Produce average of 1 radio piece per day (Monday to Friday)
• Produce a script for each radio piece
• The Radio Reporter will be set up with recording equipment and access to web services so that they may produce their radio pieces at the radio station, or remotely from home.
TO APPLY FOR A REPORTER POSITION
Please submit via email to email@example.com
- Your cover letter and resume in one PDF document labelled yourfirstname_yourlastname.pdf
- Two (2) samples of writing, (min 300 words each) preferably covering local issues;
- One (1) audio sample (MP3), preferably reading a news piece or conducting an interview;
Application Deadline: Friday July 2, 2021 (5:00 pm PST). No phone calls please. We thank all applicants; only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Cortes Community Radio is an affirmative action employer. We welcome applicants from underrepresented groups including, but not limited to, Indigenous people, people of colour, trans and queer-identified people, people with different/diverse and neurodiverse abilities and people with multilingual skills and backgrounds. All applicants must be comfortable and capable with computers, audio / visual tools, social media, data entry, able to lift 30 pounds, and able to stand for long periods. This is a contract, funding-specific position.