Close to 5,000 people are believed to listen to CKTZ, but this is a projection. Our most accurate information comes from the 10,432 who visited the station’s website in the 16 months between January 20, 2017 and May 11, 2018. They provided most of the statistics for an estimate of Cortes Radio’s Audience.
Estimate Of Cortes Radio’s Audience
Only 3,009 of the people coming to our website are “Returning Visitors.” Assuming CKTZ probably has as many FM as web listeners, this agrees with the suggestion that we have an audience of about 5,000.
The most popular function on our website is Listen Live. Prior to my moving it to the front page, this feature received 2/3 of our traffic.
More than 95% of the website’s visitors come to listen, or look around the home page.
Known Program Statistics
While statistics for individual shows are more difficult to obtain, four of CKTZ’s programs keep up to date podcasts on the website.
Carrying forward the idea we have as many FM as web listeners, there could be twice as many listeners as are shown by the website’s data. Thus each of these shows has a low (website) and high (possible) statistic:
- Vinho do Porto - 344 people viewed this page since Oct 4, 2017. The most accessed program since then was episode #49, which received 196 hits and a possible audience of 392. It is #14 in the known top 30 list (below). The next most viewed episodes were #50 (75 - 150), #48 (62-124 ) and #47 (60-120).
- The ECOreport‘s index page went up Oct 1, 2017, but is not a reliable gage because I have been posting local stories separately. Thirteen ECOreport’s are in the top 30 lilst. This is less than 9% of the programs produced. The remaining episodes had anywhere from 104 (possible 208) to 14 (possible 28) viewers.
- Allegro – 93 people during the two months CKTZ broadcast repeats. The most accessed programs were in the weeks of Dec 17-23 (50-100), Dec 31 - Jan 6 (32-64) and Jan 7 - 113 (28 - 56).
- The Homegrown Show - 206 people have visited since Oct 28, 2017. The most viewed programs fell within the weeks of Dec 24-30 (44-88), Mar 25-31 (42-84) and Dec 31-Jan 6 (36-72).
There are also a few shows with podcasts, posted less consistently, whose data falls into a similar range:
- Discovery Sound - 150 visits by 52 people, Est. 75 - 104 per week.*
- Nature Boy - 143 people viewed the webpage. As the podcasts are not posted regularly, it is difficult to calculate viewership - but the first episode, #30 below, appears to have had an audience of 114 - 228. The second episode 62 -124.
- Vintage Vignettes - 987 people viewing 18 episodes - Est. 55 - 110. The top three weeks were: Mar 5-11, 2017 (68-136); Feb 5-11, 2017 (60-120), Jan 22-28 and Sep 3-17, 2017 (both had 34-68).
- Rendezvous De La Francophone - 94 visits by 26 people, mostly pertaining to the first two episodes.The weeks most evidenced by statistics: Nov 19-25 (64-128); Jan 23 (20-40).
26 - 140 Listeners Per Week
Thus while there is not sufficient data for any of the following shows, they most likely fall within the range of the shows listed above. When you consider that the Page for Our DJs (1,318 views) has three times the amount of traffic as Talk Shows (470), they could be higher.
- Anything Goes
- Clio FM
- Folk Club with Andy Vine
- From The Muses Garden
- Free Range Radio
- Ken Hanuse
- Lunchtime Locomotion with Nat King Cono
- Misty Morning Hop, with DJ
- Mixtapes with Jonsey
- Phils Pick n Mix
- Pranayama Pachamama
- Radio Clash with D J Johnnie
- ShimSham Show With Psychedelic Sam
- Stone Soup
- Take me to the Casbah with Mr Driven’
Choosing the Top Single Episodes
I attempted to draw up a fragmentary list of CKTZ’s known top 30 single episodes.
As might be expected given the degree of expertise involved, the Deep Roots Initiative produced the top three programs.
Vintage Vignettes heads the list at 981, when it comes to total hits on a single webpage. This amounts to an estimated 1,962 listeners - but is from a page with18 podcasts! Looking at the data from the perspective of weekly views, Vintage Vignettes top known week was Mar 5-11, 2017, when it was accessed 58 times. This could work out to as many as 136 listeners for that segment, but not enough to make the top 30 list.
The index pages for Vinho do Porto (909 views, possible audience 1,818) and The Homegrown Show ( 553 & 1,106) both show heavy traffic, but cannot be considered as single episodes because a new podcast is added every week.
The ECOreport presented a different challenge. Every local story is published separately, but many of the older broadcasts are also embedded as podcasts in articles published elsewhere. Some predate any records kept by CKTZ. So I decided to restrict my calculations to data derived from podcasts. Thus while there were 3,416 views of my article BC’s Geothermal Potential (#5, below), the only applicable data is 297 hits on the podcast stored in Soundcloud. Assuming that once again there were as many FM radio as podcast listeners, this means as many as 594 people may have listened to that program (or portions of it). I have used both statistics in the list that follows.
There are practically no statistics pertaining to most of our DJs. I have included applicable profiles and DJ pages in the single episodes that follow, but do not know the extent to which these reflect their actual following.
In each case, the first number pertains to views and the second the highest probable number of hits, given that there could be as many FM radio as web listeners.
Known Top Episodes
- A Reshuffling Of Atoms (Deep Roots) - Est. 620 -1,240.
- Finding Gilean Douglas & The Protected Place (Deep Roots) - Est. 617 - 1,234.
- Where Have All The Salmon Gone? (Deep Roots) - Est. 403 - 806.
- Mixtapes (DJ Profile & podcast) - Est. 392 - 784.
- Who Speaks For Brother Wolf (Deep Roots) - Est. 366 - 732.
- BC’s Geothermal Potential (The ECOreport) - Est. 297 - 594.
- Secrets Of The Cedar Weavers (Deep Roots) - Est. 296 - 592.
- Owl Wisdom (Deep Roots) - Est. 292 - 584.
- Phils Pick n Mix (the ECOreport) - Est. 275 - 550.
- Andy Vine (the ECOreport) - Est. 238 - 476.
- The EV Tipping Point Will Arrive Quickly (The ECOreport) - Est. 220 - 440.
- Visiting Phillips Arms Salmon Farm (The ECOreport) - Est. 213 – 426
- From The Muses Garden (DJ Page with YouTube) - Est. 200 – 400.
- Vinho do Porto (Episode #49) - Est. 196 - 392.
- Nuevo Malibu (Radio Play) - Est. 188 - 376.
- Free Range Radio (the ECOreport) - Est. 187 - 374.
- Becoming Cortes Radio (the ECOreport) - Est. 177 - 336.
- A Sense of Belogging (Deep Roots) - Est. 174 - 348.
- CKTZ’s New Emergency Communications Network (ECOreport) - Est. 159 - 318
- The Energetic Forest (Deep Roots) - Est. 158 - 316.
- Confrontations Over Site C (The ECOreport) Est. 157 -314.
- Stuff (Deep Roots - Est. 156 - 312.
- Anything Goes (DJ Page & podcast) - Est. 154 - 308.
- Doug Butt Left Allegro (the ECOreport) - Est. 134 - 268.
- Victoria’s Passive Houses (The ECOreport - Sep 13, 2017) Est. 133 - 266
- Gathering Places Trading (the ECOreport) - Est. 130 - 260.
- Save The World One Mushroom At A Time (The ECOreport) - Est. 128 - 256.
- Mushrooms Wild & Mysterious (The ECOreport) - Est. 124 - 248.
- Clam Gardens (Deep Roots) - Est. 120 - 240.
- Nature Boy, episode #1 - Est. 114 - 228.
So how well have the pages that are restricted to our website done?
- Home Page (& Listen Live) - 100, 985 views
- Program Schedule - 4,584
- About Us - 1,824
- Our DJs (Index Page) - 1,318
- Support Us - 876
- Talk Shows (Index Page) - 470
- Cortes Community Radio’s Constitution - 122
- Our Sponsors - 84
- Bylaws - 72
- Cortes Radio’s Kooky Cabaret (Apr 17, 2018) – 418
- New Sponsorship Messages On Cortes Radio (Sept 6, 2017) - 242
- The MOU With Strathcona Regional District (Aug 29, 2017) - 238 - Story picked up by Campbell River Mirror
- Deep Roots Second Season Will Soon Begin - (44 & 117 on the ECOreport) = 161- Story picked up by Campbell River Mirror
- NCRA Intervenes In Cortes Radio’s Favor (News - Mar 18, 2018) - 146
- CKTZ Offers Multiple Opportunities For Onstage Performers (News - Mar 21, 2018) - 143
- Summer Lip Syncs (News - Jul 29, 2018) - 140
- 2016/17 Was A Breakthrough Year (News - July 29, 2017) - 140
- Who Listens To Cortes Radio (News - Feb 27, 2017) - 132
- 2017 Market Sales & Lip Syncs (News - Nov 11, 2017) - 116