Susana was born in Porto, Portugal. After a strong career in sales as a commercial director, she founded and ran a flourishing vegetarian and macrobiotic restaurant that evolved to feed the body, mind and soul as a spiritual center for holistic healing.
Susana has a passion for music since she can remember. Her grandmother was always listening to Fado and she was always surrounded by musicians and Djs that opened her taste to a lot of different genres. Coming to Cortes island, she started to perform at the CKTZ LipSyncs and realized how much she loves to share her culture and how much Cortesians love to receive it.
Vinho do Porto Show
So she decided to have her own radio show, where she can share all her Portuguese music background, being that from Portugal, from the ex Portuguese colonies or Brazil. Vinho do Porto show has as a common thread all songs in Portuguese language, and the genres varies between Fado, Rock, Pop, Blues, Dance, Samba, Jazz, Reggae, Hip-Hop, Folk, Bossa Nova, MPB, Forro, Choro, Frevo, Batucada, Maracatu, Morna, Semba, Marrabenta, etc.
In 2008 she decided it was time for a change. She sold her business and began the trip of a lifetime. With a nearly empty backpack and full of curiosity, she began her quest to discover and learn from intentional and spiritual communities operating on principles of permaculture in Brazil. In 2011, she went to the United States, bought a motor-home and traveled throughout Central and North America. In the summer of 2012, she arrived in British Columbia and after visiting several places in this amazing province, she found Cortes Island and her heart told her that it was one of her places to call home in this world. Since then, she lives half the year on Cortes island.
Susanna Performing Live
Here are links to videos of Susana’s live performances:
On stage in Mexico, 2018 https://www.facebook.com/susana.vijaya/videos/10215657286651932/?t=80
Performing Barco Negro (Portuguese Fado) at Quadra Island’s 2017 LipSync https://www.facebook.com/susana.vijaya/videos/10213941071547627/?comment_id=10215837649920901
The following video is Susana performing Uma Casa Portuguesa (Portuguese Fado) at Cortes Island’s 2016 Lip Sync
Besides doing her radio show that she loves so much, she spend most of her time knotting! Susana makes macrame jewelry and here is what she says about it:
I live with creative force flowing through me. As a young girl, my grandmother invoked this creative energy, and ever since, I have been expressing myself through artistry in crochet, knitting, photography, mosaic, painting and culinary arts. I discovered jewelry and macramé techniques in 2008, and it´s been a passionate love ever since. After a strong career in sales as a commercial director, I founded and ran a flourishing vegetarian and macrobiotic restaurant in Porto Portugal that evolved to feed the body, mind and soul as a spiritual center for holistic healing. I had that business for 7 years, and in 2008 I decided it was time for a change. I sold my business and began the trip of a lifetime. With a nearly empty backpack and full of curiosity, I began my quest to discover and learn from intentional and spiritual communities operating on principles of permaculture in Brazil. And it was in South America that I learned the art of macramé, which quickly became my passion and meaningful method of meditation. In 2011, I went to the United States, bought a motorhome and traveled throughout Central and North America, along the way sharing my unique and beautiful creations. In the summer of 2012, I arrived in British Columbia. After visiting several places in this amazing province, I found Cortes Island and my heart told me that it is one of my places to call home in this world. Since then, I live half the year on Cortes and the other half in Bahia, Brazil.In Canada, I participate in several Arts and Crafts markets. I also love making commission pieces. Working with gems and semi-precious stones involves constant development and allows a connection with their amazing energy. Each of my exquisite pieces is a “one of a kind” delight, created with love, healing energy, and intention to make its new owner vibrate in the Light.
- Episode 77 – Mariza @ Amália à l’Olympia by Sérgio Bernardino via Flickr (CC BY SA, 2.0 License)
- Episode 76 - Cazuza by via Flickr (CC BY SA< 2.0 License)
- Episode 75 - Lyle & Susanna’s trailer
- Episode 74 – otis-08 by caboindex via Flickr (CC BY SA, 2.0 License)
- Episode 73 – Bebel Gilberto by Kramchang via Flickr (CC BY SA, 2.0 License)
- Episode 72 – Carnaval 2010 Desfile do Afoxé Filhos de Gandhy by Fotos GOVBA via Flickr (CC by SA, 2.0 License)
- Episodes 70 & 71 - Susana Vijaya
- Episode 69 - Sara Tavares - Festival MED Loulé 2007 by Mário Pires via Flickr (CC BY SA, 2.0 License)
- Episode 68 – Night View of Corcovado by Julio Aguiar via Flickr (CC BY SA, 2.0 License)
- Episode 67 – plim,pum,pás by Rafael Ferreira via Flickr (CC BY SA, 2.0 License)
- Episode 66 - photo of Susana Vijaya
- Episode 65 - sunset photo courtesy of Susana Vijaya
- Episode 64 - Susana Vijaya at Lovefest on Cortes Island
- Episode 63 – giant Jatoba- Brazilian Cherry - (Hymenaea courbaril) in brazilian specims reforestation by mauroguanandi via Flickr (CC BY SA, 2.0 License)
- Episode 62 - Carnival picture by Susana Vijaya
- Episode 61 - Sao Tome picture
- Episode 60 - Susana Vijaya
- Episode 59 - Suadade image