Originally Published on Cortes Currents
In our feature radio interview this morning, Francesca is talking to Joyce Baker of Way to Go, a group of Quadrites and Cortesians who have been exploring topics related to death and dying for over three years.
They started after Dale Presly, of the former Salish Sea Hospice Society, came to Quadra. He put up a few posters in August 2015. There were seven people at that first talk, called Conscious Dying.
“We thought it was something we should be thinking about for our futures. A couple of the people who were there, including myself, invited him to come again in November of 2016. And after that, we kept the group going,” says Baker.
WAY TO GO Meetings
They meet in members homes every month and talk about:
- Whats been happening in their lives, related to death and dying
- a 15 minute talk by someone in the group (some past topics have: downsizing as we grow older, estate planning, organ donation, threshold choir, terminal dehydration, medical assistance in dying, nature burial, after death paperwork, grief and loss etc)
- Questions about the topic
- any group business.
The group has now published a WAY TO GO GUIDE.
Way to Go is screening the movie Tender”
- Friday, March 22, 2019, on Quadra Island, at Quadra Community Centre, Doors open at 7:00pm with information table on local initiatives; Show starts at 7:30pm; Q & A following the movie.
- Tuesday, April 2, 2019 on Cortes Island, in the Lakeview Room at Linnaea Farm at 6:30pm; with information tables on local initiatives; Show starts at 7:00pm; Q & A following the movie.